Ms Catherine Hauer
6th Grade Homeroom/Social Studies/Math
Welcome to Room 17!
Language Arts-Reading, English, and Spelling
Text: Human Heritage: A World History
Major focus: ancient civilizations of both East and West
Students will begin with an introduction to the study of world history and geography
- Next, the emergence and development of civilization in the river valleys of the Middle East, South Asia, and China will be studied
- The history of the Ancient Greeks and Romans will be explored in depth
- The year will conclude with a study of the Early and Late Middle Ages
Each student's quarter grade will be based upon:
- Research Reports
Religion-Sadlier We Believe:
Text: We Believe, published by Sadlier.
The emphasis of what we will learn this year will be the Old Testament. We will be using the textbook and Bible to study scripture, reflect on our actions, and to enrich our prayer lives. We will also look at the liturgical year and study how we celebrate. More can be learned about our text atwww.webelieveweb.com.
Upon the completion of each chapter, students will take test reviewing important terms/concepts. Final grades will be based upon these tests as well as class assignments. Additionally, the students attend mass each Tuesday morning.
Text: Sadlier-Oxford's Progress in Mathematics
A primary goal this year is for students to feel more comfortable with Math
- Class will begin with a warm-up activity to review previously learned concepts
- Lessons will be taught through the use of the chalkboard, marker boards, overhead projector, or Promethean Board
- Students are required to maintain a class notebook, which will contain both notes and examples of topics covered. Students are expected to get notes from a classmate if absent.
- Homework should be expected on a daily basis- this should never take more than one hour to complete. Homework will not be assigned until concepts are covered in class.
- Students must show ALL work, use a highlighter to highlight the answer in work, and place answers in an answer column (unless otherwise instructed)
- Quizzes will be frequent and will be based on homework/classwork.
- Tests will cover several concepts and will be less frequent
- Additional reinforcements/enrichment ideas can be found at www.sadlier-oxford.com
**I am available after school until 4:00 most days for extra help – advance notice necessary**